As a consequence of the intellectual and erudite nature of the inhabitants of Baeza, they decided to create their own University at the end of the XVI century, a long time before these of Jaén or Úbeda. The building that hosts the institution, known nowadays as the Former University, is other of the big edifices of the civil architecture that you can find in Baeza.

The building, one of the few with Mannerist style that the city has, was founded by the priest Rodrigo López, a relative of the Pope Paulo III, upon the Saint León chapel, a plot transferred by the Council in 1571.

Firstly, a first letters school was created dedicated to the Holly Trinity. Nevertheless, with the arrival of Juan de Ávila in 1540, new teachings were introduced as Liberal Studies, secondary education, degrees and doctorates in Arts and Theology.

The first students' graduation took place in 1549 and they became the professors of the future University. Their effort and good performance convert this University of Baeza into the best university in Andalusia during the years. However, due to the parish character of the University, a phenomenon of exaltation occurred between the students, known as "illuminati", which forced the intervention of the Inquisition Court, something that finished with the imprisonment of the most distinguished teachers.

In 1565, new Rhetoric, Grammar, Greek Philosophy and Theology chairs were created. With the arrival of Pedro Fernández de Córdoba to the management, the institution would be elevated to a higher position. Due to that, he designed an enlargement which finished with the construction of the Saint Jean Evangelist church.

The University remained until 1824. Nevertheless, the lessons on the primary school continued with these of Latin; followed by the creation of a Liberal Studies School and after a high-school -where Antonio Machado worked as a teacher-, and these days there is a secondary education centre.

Regarding the architecture, you will observe that the building fits with the typology of Renaissance palaces, in which the principal elements are the double series of arches and a staircase covered with a coffered dome. The Paraninfo or Assembly hall is placed in the courtyard. It is important to enhance the chapel of Saint Jean Evangelist, with only one nave and a barrel vault, and its tower, erected with a squared structure until the roof level.

Its outside is made on ashlar with a Baroque decoration and semicircular arches. 

Precio de la entrada

Free entry.